- 150g of sifted plain flour
- 125g of melted butter
- 150g caster sugar
- 2 large eggs – lightly beaten
- 2 tbls of whole milk
- 1 tsp of fast-acting yeast
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- First melt the butter and allow to cool
- Whisk the eggs with the caster sugar until nearly white and fluffy
- Mix the yeast into the sifted flour and mix together. Add gradually to the beaten egg mixture
- Next add the melted butter, the vanilla extract, the milk and blend together.
- Leave to rest in fridge for 30 minutes
- Preheat oven to 210C/7-8 gas. Butter the Madeleine shells.
- Put 1 teaspoon of mixture into each shell
Place in oven and let bake for 3-4 minutes at the high temperature. Lower the temperature to 180C/Gas 6 and bake for another 3-5 minutes. (The Madeline’s bake very quickly between 6 – 9 minutes, so stay by the oven, and lower the temperature if they brown too quickly. If over-baked, they will become dry).
Remove from the oven and tap the tin against a work surface to unmould them. Place on a cooling rack. Dust with icing sugar to serve.
Notes: you can add zest of either 1/3 orange or lemon to the mixture. Or 1 tablespoon of pink peppercorns.