- 4 large, free-range egg whites
- pinch salt
- 225g/8ozs caster sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoons of cornflour. sifted
- 1 ½ tsps vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 55C/130F/Gas 1.
- Beat the egg whites and salt together in a stand mixer bowl until soft peaks form when the whisk is removed.
- Add the sugar one tablespoon at a time, whisking constantly, until all the sugar is incorporated and stiff peaks form when the whisk is removed – allow 3 seconds between each addition
- Add the cornflour and vanilla extract and just whisk to combine.
- Put a 1 ½cm plain nozzle into a piping bag and fill to ¾ full with the meringue mixture.
- Pipe out the ‘spooky’ meringues onto 2 trays lined with non-stick parchment. Leave a ½”/1cm space between each figure – see photo for ideas. Transfer to oven and allow to bake/dry out for at least 4-5 hours, or just them on the low setting overnight to maintain their whiteness.
- When cold, pipe mouth shapes onto head area, and in the eye area, or use chocolate chips for the eyes.
- Great fun to make with a young audience, or to offer at Halloween trick or treat, or at any time.